We require either a Mechanical Beamline Technician or Senior Beamline Technician to work within the Magnetic Materials Group of the Physical Science Division. The post will be focussed on, but not restricted to Beamline I16 (Materials & Magnetism). This state-of-the-art beamline is dedicated to physics-oriented research, e.g. studies of quantum materials, mainly using advanced x-ray diffraction techniques. The centrepiece of the beamline is a large, six-axis diffractometer that supports a wide range of sample stages, including cryogenic devices, magnetic and electric fields.
Your main duty would be to support the scientists and technical support groups associated with the beamline during maintenance, commissioning and operations. Working in a friendly and supportive environment, you would:
• Help to maintain the equipment already existing on the beamline;
• Collaborate with the beamline scientists and engineers in designing, installing and commissioning new beamline equipment;
• Work with ultrahigh and high-vacuum instrumentation;
• Maintain cryogenic instrumentation under the guidance of beamline scientists;
• Collaborate with dedicated support groups to maintain motion equipment.
We anticipate that the role will evolve from being largely mechanical towards one requiring a broader ‘mechatronics’ skill-set. We encourage applications from people who are happy to work flexibly and have a positive attitude towards training opportunities to expand their skills and competencies in areas such as:
• 3D CAD/printing of polymer components;
• Electrical wiring;
• Electronic instrumentation;
• Computer scripting to align and calibrate beamline components.
Where appropriate for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements and secondment opportunities (e.g. for fixed-term contract positions).
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 30 April 2019.
Diamond are members of the Employers Network for Equality & Inclusion and we have achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level One. Women are underrepresented and so we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women. If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.